200 W. Mercer #104

Seattle, Washington 98119

Telephone: (206) 281-7163

Fax: (206) 281-5088

FAQs About Our Practice

Many of your questions about referrals, tests and hospitalization are answered below. Please review these FAQs before you call the office.


For HAIR REMOVAL questions, see the HAIR REMOVAL tab.


Can I get an appointment on the same day I call?

Yes, in many cases. We reserve Same-Day Acute Visits for single problem visits. Please call early in the day, i.e., as close to our opening time of 8:30 AM as possible.


May I see the same Provider for each visit?

Schedule in advance if you wish to see one specific Provider. We cannot offer the same flexibility for Same-Day visits.


How do I find out about test results?

Mammogram results are sent directly to patients by the center performing the test.


If you have seen a specialist for a specific test, call their office for results.


When you have blood tests or other lab work done in our office, sign up for the free Portal, so you can get your labs by email. If you wish a copy of your results sent to you, please ask the phlebotomist at the time your blood is drawn.


Note that you should always hear about your test results. If you do not hear after a period of two weeks, call us! Do not assume that "no news is good news!"


Do I need an appointment for a blood draw?

If your provider has given you a prescription to have blood tests drawn, you may come in any time that is convienent for you: Monday through Friday between 8:30 AM-4:30 PM – no appointment needed.


How do I get a Referral to a specialist?

Your Provider will make a referral to an appropriate specialist if needed. Your health insurance company may require a specific authorization from our office. If you need a Referral Authorization for insurance purposes, call our office during business hours, and listen to the phone prompts.


When you call for an Insurance Referral, we will ask you for the following information:
  • The name of the physician or provider you will be seeing.
  • The condition you will be addressing during the specialist visit.
  • The date and time of your appointed visit.
  • The telephone and fax number of the specialist you will be seeing.

Please remember that if you do not follow your insurance company’s requirements for referrals, you will be charged for the entire specialist visit – without the benefit of your insurance!


What is a Nurse Practitioner?

An Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP) is a Master’s level Registered Nurse who has gone beyond the usual training required to become a nurse. An ARNP is licensed to diagnose and treat conditions within the scope of her practice. She has prescriptive and referral authority. In our practice, the Nurse Practitioners work with consultation available from Linda Gromko, MD.


What happens if my baby or child is ill and requires hospitalization?

In Seattle, we would direct you to either Swedish Medical Center at First Hill or Seattle Children’s (known earlier as Children’s Hospital). Remember that Swedish/Ballard does not have in-patient pediatric services.


In the hospital, your child will be treated by a Pediatric Hospitalist. The Hospitalist is a physician who treats patients only in the hospital, and communicates with the community practitioners for continuity of care.


What do I do if I need hospitalization?

If you need hospitalization in a dire emergency, go to the nearest hospital – or if you are triaged by Medic One, go where they take you!


Be sure you are aware of any restrictions your insurance policy may have regarding your choice of hospital.


Most of our patients are admitted to Swedish Medical Center and Northwest Hospital, but any Seattle hospital is fine. Our patients are treated in the hospital by the Hospitalist Team: a team of doctors who treat patients only while in the hospital, but communicate with us for information and discharge planning.


Does Dr. Gromko deliver babies?

No; she stopped in 2005. We are happy to refer you to another physician who delivers OB care, or to the Ballard Midwifery Clinic operating out of Swedish Medical Center/Ballard.


Does Dr. Gromko make Nursing Home visits?

No; in most cases, the Nursing Home has a physician connected with that facility. We do see a number of patients who are in Assisted Living facilities, but they come to our office for care.


Where can I get a flu shot?

Adult immunizations (flu, pneumonia, Shingles, DTaP) are available at most major pharmacies. Our closest pharmacy is Bartells (600 First Avenue North; Seattle, WA 98109; (206) 284-1354). They provide immunizations for anyone age 5 and older.


Where can I get Travel Immunizations?

If you are planning to travel outside of the US, Canada, or Europe, you will want to include a Travel Medicine Consultation in your preparations. Some areas require:


  • Immunizations
  • Malaria prevention medications
  • Medications for specific conditions like travelers’ diarrhea
  • Medications for prevention of altitude sickness if you are planning a climb or high-altitude trek.


For your convenience, we recommend the Travel Clinics at Bartells Upper Queen Anne (1929 Queen Anne Avenue North; Seattle, WA 98109; (206) 285-1737) or Magnolia (2222 32nd Avenue West; Seattle, WA 98199; (206) 282-2881).